Long Live General Kabaka Oba: The People's General

Saturday, March 04, 2006

Jerry Pryor: Knowledge Will Be Missed

Jerry Pryor of WAIF fm's Friday night lineup, has transitioned unto the other side of life.

General Kabaka Oba and I wish to offer condolensces to the family and friends of Mr. Pryor.

I never had the pleasure of officially meeting Mr. Pryor in person. I did have a chance, on more than one occassion, to speak with him off-air via phone after he concluded broadcasting for the night. I was mezmorized by his knowledge of things historical: black, grafted devils, and otherwise. He provided valuable information and incite to all who were seeking knowledge and clarity.

I first heard of Mr. Pryor as a summer programmer on WAIF in '05. I regret that I did not find his show until the last few weeks of summer programming.

Since that time, Jerry Pryor could be heard on "Black Friday's" sitting in primarily for Brother Curt Standifer. (General Kabaka and J.R. are glad for Brother Standifer's renewal of strength).
I don't hear many folks droppin' knowledge like it's hot in the manner of Jerry Pryor-- at least not here on the local radio and cable access scene. He was putting out stuff beyond the typical, slightly washed-up "power to the people" rhetoric. I mean he was putting it down: and validated all with facts in black and white.

We are indeed sorry of his untimely passing.

May Jerry Pryor take his place among the great black ancestors he so eloquently educated listeners about. May the few remaining local black, male educators (in the ways of the Kurt Standifer's and Ojinga Khamisi's and Kwame Bernard's) continue steadfastly with strength from Mr. Pryor and great black ancestor's cosmic guidance.